The following are excerpts from the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada (EFC) website. Please visit this website for complete publications.
As a new Parliament begins, here are some of the activities that the EFC engaged in with the previous Parliament, bringing biblical principles to bear on the issues of the day:
- Religious Freedom
- Canada Summer Jobs
- Bill C-51
- Religious discrimination study
- Sanctity of Life
- Palliative care
- Care of the Vulnerable
- Sexual Exploitation
- Human Trafficking
- Church and Mission
- The Church’s Distinct Role in Canadian Culture
“Following a court decision in Quebec in September, medical assistance in dying (MAID) is likely to come up early in the next session of the House of Commons. Canada passed a law on MAID in 2016, allowing euthanasia and assisted suicide in certain circumstances.”(From this article, access Nov. 5, 2019)
Recommendations from the EFC on how to respond to this issue:
- Pray for your MP, for the Prime Minister and the Cabinet as they decide how to proceed.
- Reach out to your MP to develop a relationship before legislation is introduced, by sending a message of congratulations or stopping by their riding office. Find contact information at https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en
- Write to the Prime Minister to ask him to protect the lives of the vulnerable, to increase supports and safeguards for the vulnerable, and to make the MAID law as precise and restricted as possible. See the EFC’s sample letter (docx) (pdf).
- See the EFC’s engagement kit for tips on contacting your MP.